4/12/2005

Radio Silence (with Dippin' Dots, baby)

Didn't work. Not even a little bit. The interview I mentioned in the last post didn't go off so hot. We talked about an hour, then I played a few songs, and then Reeves told me that none of it had gone out over the air and the same amount had been recorded. Technical difficulties. So, we'll be trying again this next Monday. So all none of you should listen in and laugh, love, and, yes, maybe even learn.

I will find out who is responsible for the snow/hailstorm outside my window and heads will roll. Heads. Will. Roll. It's April, for Harry Belafonte's sake, and just when I thought I could go outside barefoot, Jesus starts shitting white Dippin' Dots all over the place. Come on, Jesus, even the ice cream of the future has its place. And it's not on my lawn. For those who don't know, I'm currently hiding out in southern Maine, working as a live-in caretaker for a kids summer camp that keeps animals in the winter. Snow, especially an inch of snow over two feet of mud, makes my job a hell of a lot harder. The horse paddock look likes it was filled with those cancerous lungs they show you in sixth grade to make you hate smoking, and the piles of llama shit have thawed and re-frozen into a series shin-snapping sink holes and mottled brown, jagged edges. When I'm too lazy to put my good boots on before going out, walking around becomes a drunken tango of quick dodges and little victories as I almost fall into piles of animal crap every few feet. This morning, one of my bosses, Meg, one half of Peter and Meg, the couple that own the camp, told me to start digging up the layers upon layers of wet, fetid pine shavings that had been building up for months and months in the back of the barn where the donkeys live. So I did half of it, saving the other half for Thursday, the next time I'm due to feed the critters. It smelled like boiled shrimp. So, I didn't mind too much, but then I felt odd, about not minding the shrimp smell, and I stopped breathing through my nose.

I'm not sure how I feel about shrimp now.

No comments: